Sunday, October 16, 2016

What has happened to dating?

Welcome to The Dating Journey at 50.  Not only is dating new to me but so is blogging.  I've decided to write a blog in hopes that we can help each other navigate this uncharted territory, learning, laughing and getting over our fears together.  I'm not sure I'm doing it right, but isn't that the moral to this story?  Doing it right?  I don't know what that means today.  This is no longer the world of boy meets girl, has chemistry, falls in love, makes love, gets married and rides off into the sunset.  I'm not sure that was every really how it worked but the rose colored glasses are definately off.  Where do you meet someone? Internet dating, bars, friends, work, school and church?   Texting is considered communication? To have sex or not to have sex?  Is there sexual dysfunction with age appropriate men? Baggage, lord, we all have it!

We talk about how lonely people are today, how disconnected people are even through they are chatting, texting and messaging.  This is an odd way to try and get to know someone.  I am not a fan.  I want to look at someone, see their body language and hear the nuance in thier voice.  You don't even have phone conversations today it seems, it's all texting and messaging anything it seems to avoid the committment of human contact.  Is it all fear?  Is it just so much easier to say what you are thinking or is it avoiding having to be responsible for what you say?  Is it the new cinderella story?  I can just keep browsing until I find the right one?  This is all so disconnected and impersonal.

I've recently finalized my divorced but I've been seperated for four years.  I dated one person during this time but that happened organically and it didn't work out. I've had a few sporatic dates here and there but nothing serious. Last week I signed up for Match.com because I relocated to a new area to finish my masters program in Social Work and decided I'm now ready to start dating, or so I thought.  I turned 50 in August and my kids are all grown with children of their own.  I'm smart, independent and have been told I'm pretty (that's all relative I guess).  The consensus is that I should be able to get a date and a good guy, I'm a catch.  Well, that's a crock of shit.  This is a heart wrenching journey that is not for the weak.  With this blog we will explore the why's, talk about the dating experieces and try to figure out how we move into the last act of life single, dating and really confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment